McIlroy shocks Scott to win Australian Open
Melbourne: Double Major-winner Rory McIlroy won the Australian Open on Sunday with a birdie at the final hole, pipping home favourite Adam Scott, to secure his first tournament victory of 2013.
Scott was leading by a stroke with one hole to play and looked certain to become only the second player ever to capture the Australian "Triple Crown".
However, the world number two bogeyed the last and McIlroy holed a birdie putt to win by a shot with 18 under par at the Royal Sydney course.
Scott said he misjudged the wind and took too much club on the last, blowing his bid to add a home Open title to his victories at the Australian PGA Chapionship and Australian Masters.
"I am gutted, I felt like I never had a better chance to win the Australian Open," Scott said after his defeat.
"It was going to be a tough day, Rory made his move and I just couldn`t get my putts in."
The US Masters champion`s error on the final shot in front of a stunned crowd opened the door for McIlroy, who said the Australian "gave me a couple of lifelines and I was able to take advantage of that on the last."
"Adam congratulated me on the green. It was hard not to feel some guilt in the way that I won it," he said, adding that he never lost belief despite struggling for consistency.
"To be able to play your best golf when you need to, when you`re under pressure, you can`t ask for more," said McIlroy.
"The perfect scenario was to achieve a win before the end of the season and thankfully I have done that."
Scott started Sunday`s final round with a comfortable four-shot lead over second-placed McIlroy, but an eagle on seven closed the gap and the Northern Irishman drew level with a birdie on the eighth.
Scott edged ahead again, but said he "slightly misread a few" shots towards the end, handing McIlory victory in his first Australian Open in seven years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire