McIlroy slams golf rules after two-shot penalty at Abu Dhabi Championship
Johannesburg: Northern Irish golf ace Rory McIlroy has reportedly slammed some of golf`s rules as `stupid` after being hit by a two-shot penalty at the 2.7 million-dollar Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship on Saturday.
In his first tournament of the year, the former world number one was docked two shots for taking an incorrect drop, which turned his bogey-free 68 in the third round into a 70 after a video-and on-spot review, to leave him on nine under, three behind the pacesetting Craig Lee.
According to the British media, the world number seven, who was found in breach of Rule 25-1 for not taking a full relief from a spectator`s crossing on the second hole of the Abu Dhabi Golf Club, vowed to make a `quick start` on Sunday, saying that there are many `stupid rules` in golf.
The report mentioned that McIlroy also incurred a two-shot penalty at this very event two years ago, where he came second, one behind the shock winner, Robert Rock.
Although the rule is well-known, McIlroy admitted that he was so wrapped up in the shot that he did not notice that he had committed an infraction, adding that he dropped his foot in a bad lie for which he did not gain any sort of advantage.
In order to regain his lost points, McIlroy said that he would be `hitting the gym hard` to get his frustration out, adding that he would then have room service and lock himself away.
This is just the latest in a long line of high-profile golfers falling foul of the regulations and will inevitably add fuel to the debate about whether the professionals are appropriately aware of the rules - whether petty or not, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Guwahati to host 2016 Indian Super League season opener
- An Alaskan village votes to relocate because of global warming
- US Judge blocks federal action on transgender students' bathroom access
- Athletics: Long jump star Rutherford swaps spikes for dancing shoes
- Turkey backtracks on `IS child bomber` claims