McIlroy yet to decide over representing GB or Ireland at Olympics
London: World number one Rory McIlroy has said he hasn`t decided made any decision over his participation in the Rio de Janeiro Games 2016, as golf would be reinstated in the Games after 112 years of absence.
Media reports on Monday suggested the Northern Irishman had hinted he would declare for Britain for the 2016 Games when golf returns to the Olympics, but McIlroy has said he is yet to make a final decision.
"I have absolutely not made a decision regarding my participation in the next Olympics," said the world number one. On a personal level, playing in the Olympics would be a huge honour," McIlroy was quoted as saying in an interview.
"However, the Games in Rio are still four years away and I certainly won`t be making any decisions with regards to participation any time soon," he added.
Competitors from Northern Ireland have the choice of representing either Great Britain or Ireland and McIlroy accepted that he is in ``an extremely sensitive and difficult position``.
"I am a proud product of Irish golf and the Golfing Union of Ireland and am hugely honoured to have come from very rich Irish sporting roots, winning Irish Boys, Youths and Amateur titles and playing for Ireland at all levels," McIlroy said.
"I am also a proud Ulsterman who grew up in Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom. That is my background and always will be. I receive huge support from both Irish and British sports fans alike and it is greatly appreciated," he added.
"As an international sportsman, I am very lucky to be supported by people all over the world, many of who treat me as one of their own, no matter what their nationality, or indeed mine. This is the way sport should be," he concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31