Mid-round burst helps Bhullar make cut in South Africa
Johannesburg: A mid-round burst of three successive birdies saw Gaganjeet Bhullar bring in a fine four-under 67 and make the cut comfortably at the Joburg Open.
Playing on the West Course, which is considered tougher, Bhullar had six birdies against two bogeys as he moved to five-under 138 and in tied 47th place, and well inside the cut here at the Royal Johannesburg & Kensington Golf Club.
Bhullar, who shot 71 on the East Course, found his rhythm on the West Course as he birdied second, sixth and then three times in a row from ninth to 11th. He added one more on 17th but also had two bogeys on fourth and 14th.
Bhullar has been driving and hitting his irons well as seen by the 11 fairways he has found of 14 on each of the first two days. He found 13 greens in regulation on first day and 15 on the second. Yet he needed 30 putts on both days, indicating that his putter has not been his best friend.
Italian Edoardo Molinari continued his return to form by claiming a share of the halfway lead.
The 32-year-old has been plagued by injury problems since making his Ryder Cup debut alongside brother Francesco in 2010, slipping from the Official Ryder Cup`s top 20 to World Number 220 as a result.
However, having finished inside the top 10 in Dubai last week, the former US Amateur Champion was again impressive in South Africa as a second round 68 left him tied at the top of the leaderboard with Scotland`s Craig Lee on 11 under par.
Lee made 67 on the West Course, having impressed with a 65 on the East set-up on day one, as he chases a maiden European Tour title.
England`s David Horsey and home favourite George Coetzee share third on ten under, and the former was delighted with his work on the greens after an eight under par 63 on the West Course.
Coetzee has had 24 top-10 finishes on The European Tour, but is hoping to land his first win on home soil this weekend..
Horsey, like the majority of the field, is chasing not only the 206,050 euros first prize but also one of three Open Championship places on offer.
There is an added incentive at the Joburg Open, which is part of The Open Qualifying Series - South Africa.
Three players, who have not already qualified and who finish in the top 10 at the Joburg Open, will secure places in The Open Championship at Royal Liverpool from July 17-20.
In the event of a tie, the qualifying place(s) will go to the player with the highest ranking in the Official World Golf Ranking at the start of that week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in