Nalini snatches lead from Sharmila, Saaniya in Hero WPG Tour
Panchkula: Nalini Singh Siwach overcame a last-hole bogey to bring in the day`s only sub-par card that gave her a handy lead at the end of the eighth leg of the Hero Women`s Professional Golf Tour on Tuesday.
Nalini (72) moved to the top at 147 and behind her were Sharmila Nicollet (77) and Saaniya Sharma (78) at 150 and 151 at the Panchkula Golf Club.
Nalini shot a card of one-under that included three birdies on the back nine, spoilt only by the bogey on the last hole. She also had one birdie and two bogeys on the third and fourth on the front stretch. She led the field with a total of one-over 147.
Meanwhile, first round`s joint leaders Sharmila Nicollet, the current leader on the Hero Women`s Order of Merit, and Saaniya Sharma suffered a big blow with finishing blues.
Sharmila in particular dropped four shots including a double bogey six on the 18th. Earlier she had a double bogey on the par 5. In all she had four birdies, four bogeys and two double bogeys in her four-over 77 that saw her dropping to second place at 150.
Sharmila is gunning for her third title in a row, following wins in sixth and seventh legs of the Hero WPG Tour.
Saaniya had two triple bogeys, one each at the start and the end of the round, both on par-4s. She also had a double bogey on seventh and on ninth. Her three birdies in a row from 10th to 12th were a consolation of sorts on a day when she shot 78. She was third at 151.
Smriti Mehra brought herself back into the tournament with an even par 73. Apart from Nalini, she was the steadiest with two birdies and two bogeys to move to 153 after a disappointing first round of 80.
Neha Tripathi (76-78) at 154 and Meghna Bal (81-77) at 158 were fifth and sixth.
This is the eighth leg of the 15-event Hero Women`s professional Golf Tour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside
- Battles in Libya's Sirte kill 34 fighters, injure over 180