Ozaki returns to lead Asia in Royal Trophy
Tokyo: Naomichi `Joe` Ozaki will continue as captain of Asia in golf`s Royal Trophy match play event against Europe, organisers said on Tuesday.
It will be the fifth consecutive edition the 55-year-old Japanese golfer has led the team after his compatriot Masahiro Kuramoto took charge for the inaugural event in 2006. His and Asia`s sole success came in 2009.
Organisers said the 2012 event will take place in Brunei from December 14-16 and will be played in honour of Spain`s Seve Ballesteros, Europe`s captain for the first two years, who died in May after a lengthy battle against cancer.
"I am certain that the eight members of the Asian Team will play their hearts out in honour of Seve`s career and life," Ozaki said in a statement.
"I have great memories of Seve during my years playing full-time internationally, of the times he played in our tour in Japan and of captaining against him at the Royal Trophy in 2007."
Ballesteros` former Ryder Cup team mate Jose Maria Olazabal will lead the European team, taking over the captaincy from Scot Colin Montgomerie, who oversaw a 9-7 victory earlier this year.
Olazabal has already named Montgomerie as the first selection in his team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees