Ozaki returns to lead Asia in Royal Trophy
Tokyo: Naomichi `Joe` Ozaki will continue as captain of Asia in golf`s Royal Trophy match play event against Europe, organisers said on Tuesday.
It will be the fifth consecutive edition the 55-year-old Japanese golfer has led the team after his compatriot Masahiro Kuramoto took charge for the inaugural event in 2006. His and Asia`s sole success came in 2009.
Organisers said the 2012 event will take place in Brunei from December 14-16 and will be played in honour of Spain`s Seve Ballesteros, Europe`s captain for the first two years, who died in May after a lengthy battle against cancer.
"I am certain that the eight members of the Asian Team will play their hearts out in honour of Seve`s career and life," Ozaki said in a statement.
"I have great memories of Seve during my years playing full-time internationally, of the times he played in our tour in Japan and of captaining against him at the Royal Trophy in 2007."
Ballesteros` former Ryder Cup team mate Jose Maria Olazabal will lead the European team, taking over the captaincy from Scot Colin Montgomerie, who oversaw a 9-7 victory earlier this year.
Olazabal has already named Montgomerie as the first selection in his team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened