Rahil Gangjee sizzles with 66, five Indians make cut in Myanmar
Yangon: Nine years after making his Asian Tour debut here in Yangon, Indian golfer Rahil Gangjee today celebrated that memory with a superb six-under 66 that carried him up to tied 14th at the midway stage of the Zaykabar Myanmar Open golf tournament here.
Gangjee, who shot 71 in first round, is now seven-under 137 and is six shots behind the leader, Kiradech Aphibarnrat (67), who is now 13-under after rounds of 64 and 67.
Along with Gangjee, young Ajeetesh Sandhu (70-68) also made the cut at tied 20th, while three other Indians, Himmat Rai (70-71), Sujjan Singh (71-70) and Shankar Das (72-69) just managed to hang on for weekend action at tied 53rd as they were on the cutline at three-under. However, Vinod Kumar (71-78) and Chiragh Kumar missed the cut.
Gangjee had a bogeyfree round with six birdies, five of which came on a productive back nine. He closed with two birdies on 17th and 18th and looked pleased.
Sandhu had five birdies against one bogey on ninth, while Shankar Das had an eagle in his round of 68.
Gangjee said, "I`m very delighted with how I played and making amends for last year because I couldn`t read the greens here. These greens are pretty similar to the grass I played on in America. I made a lot of birdies to bounce back. I made a bogey on the last yesterday and was very upset with that."
He added, "I`ve played well in Myanmar before. It was in 2004 and it was my first Asian Tour event. I finished tied 19th and I was pretty pleased with myself. It kind of got me into a lot of events and two events later I won my first event in my rookie year. This is my 10th Asian Tour season. Time has really flown by especially when I was in America. I don?t know where it went. I was just travelling and playing and it was on automatic mode. I just went on from week to week."
When reminded of his Rookie Year, which was also the first year of Asian Tour as the Players` Tour, he added, "One of my best memories was winning in my rookie year on the Asian Tour at the 2004 Volkswagen Masters in China. I really didn`t know anybody out here and I didn`t know the way the game was played here. I was lucky enough to win and some people said I was good enough to win."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt