Rory McIlroy`s The Open winning ball fetches 52,038 dollars at auction
Johannesburg: The ball used by Northern Irish golf ace Rory McIlroy to win The Open Championship had been put on the auction block for three weeks and a golf memorabilia collector purchased it on Sunday for 52,038 dollars.
The PGA Tour website revealed that McIlroy threw the Nike RZN Black ball he used to win his third major championship at Royal Liverpool Golf Club in the stands, where Lee Horner of Leeds, England caught it.
After holding onto the ball for a several days, Horner decided to sell it. A total of 45 bids were placed on the ball by 22 different bidders from across the world.
The 52,038 dollars paid for the McIlroy ball is reportedly the second highest for a golf ball after a Bobby Jones autographed ball fetched 55,865 dollars in April 2011, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Do not intervene in South China Sea dispute: China tells Japan
- Nepal PM KP Sharma Oli steps down
- Centuries-old fair symbolising maize blossom begins in Himachal
- 2016 Olympics: Russia escape blanket ban, but IOC bars whistle-blower from Rio Games
- Pakistan Daily calls Nawaz Sharif's statement on Kashmir 'wishful thinking and unrealistic'