Rory McIlroy`s The Open winning ball fetches 52,038 dollars at auction
Johannesburg: The ball used by Northern Irish golf ace Rory McIlroy to win The Open Championship had been put on the auction block for three weeks and a golf memorabilia collector purchased it on Sunday for 52,038 dollars.
The PGA Tour website revealed that McIlroy threw the Nike RZN Black ball he used to win his third major championship at Royal Liverpool Golf Club in the stands, where Lee Horner of Leeds, England caught it.
After holding onto the ball for a several days, Horner decided to sell it. A total of 45 bids were placed on the ball by 22 different bidders from across the world.
The 52,038 dollars paid for the McIlroy ball is reportedly the second highest for a golf ball after a Bobby Jones autographed ball fetched 55,865 dollars in April 2011, the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani