Rory McIlroy`s The Open winning ball fetches 52,038 dollars at auction
Johannesburg: The ball used by Northern Irish golf ace Rory McIlroy to win The Open Championship had been put on the auction block for three weeks and a golf memorabilia collector purchased it on Sunday for 52,038 dollars.
The PGA Tour website revealed that McIlroy threw the Nike RZN Black ball he used to win his third major championship at Royal Liverpool Golf Club in the stands, where Lee Horner of Leeds, England caught it.
After holding onto the ball for a several days, Horner decided to sell it. A total of 45 bids were placed on the ball by 22 different bidders from across the world.
The 52,038 dollars paid for the McIlroy ball is reportedly the second highest for a golf ball after a Bobby Jones autographed ball fetched 55,865 dollars in April 2011, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical