Schwartzel puts himself in line for first home Open title
Johannesburg: Home favourite Charl Schwartzel will take a one-stroke lead into Sunday`s final round of the South African Open after carding a third-round 69 for a 15-under-par total of 201 that sets him up for a title that has previously eluded him.
The 29-year-old Schwartzel, who is the highest-ranked South African golfer but has never won his country`s open championship, leads from Italian Marco Crespi and Dane Morten Orum Madsen after five birdies in his round on Saturday.
Crespi, who came through the qualifying school this month, had shared the overnight lead on Friday with Schwartzel but slipped one stroke back as he battled with his putting. Madsen hit a 69 for a 14-under total of 202.
Former champion Hennie Otto, who won in 2011, hit the best round on Saturday despite taking seven shots at the ninth hole of the Glendower Country Club course on the outskirts of Johannesburg.
Otto moved into fourth place after birdying seven of the last eight holes for 65.
Twice U.S. Open winner Retief Goosen was six shots off the lead.
The tournament is the first of the 2014 European Tour and one of eight being played in South Africa over the next four months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31