Self-reported penalty puts Millard out of US Open
Jason Millard was disqualified from the upcoming US Open Golf Championship on Saturday after self-reporting a penalty in sectional qualifying.
Millard had earned berth in the qualifier, but said he hasn`t rested easy because he feared he grounded his club in a bunker on his 27th hole of that event.
"I`m pretty sure I grounded my club in the bunker. I didn`t see anything for sure, but I felt something and I saw a small indentation," Millard said. "It happened so fast, I really don`t know 100 percent, but deep down, I believe I did.
"I couldn`t find peace about it. For five days, I practiced and I couldn`t get it off my mind."
He will be replaced in the field by Sam Love, who was the second alternate from the Memphis, Tennessee, qualifying event.
"We commend Jason for bringing this matter to our attention. At this time, we have no recourse, but to disqualify him under the Rules of Golf," said Daniel Burton, US Golf Association vice president and chairman of the Championship Committee.
The US Open starts Thursday at Pinehurst No. 2, where England`s Justin Rose will be defending his title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena