Self-reported penalty puts Millard out of US Open
Washington: Jason Millard was disqualified from the upcoming US Open Golf Championship on Saturday after self-reporting a penalty in sectional qualifying.
Millard had earned berth in the qualifier, but said he hasn`t rested easy because he feared he grounded his club in a bunker on his 27th hole of that event.
"I`m pretty sure I grounded my club in the bunker. I didn`t see anything for sure, but I felt something and I saw a small indentation," Millard said. "It happened so fast, I really don`t know 100 percent, but deep down, I believe I did.
"I couldn`t find peace about it. For five days, I practiced and I couldn`t get it off my mind."
He will be replaced in the field by Sam Love, who was the second alternate from the Memphis, Tennessee, qualifying event.
"We commend Jason for bringing this matter to our attention. At this time, we have no recourse, but to disqualify him under the Rules of Golf," said Daniel Burton, US Golf Association vice president and chairman of the Championship Committee.
The US Open starts Thursday at Pinehurst No. 2, where England`s Justin Rose will be defending his title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- US President Barack Obama hosts jazz concert at `Blues House`
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm