Self-reported penalty puts Millard out of US Open
Washington: Jason Millard was disqualified from the upcoming US Open Golf Championship on Saturday after self-reporting a penalty in sectional qualifying.
Millard had earned berth in the qualifier, but said he hasn`t rested easy because he feared he grounded his club in a bunker on his 27th hole of that event.
"I`m pretty sure I grounded my club in the bunker. I didn`t see anything for sure, but I felt something and I saw a small indentation," Millard said. "It happened so fast, I really don`t know 100 percent, but deep down, I believe I did.
"I couldn`t find peace about it. For five days, I practiced and I couldn`t get it off my mind."
He will be replaced in the field by Sam Love, who was the second alternate from the Memphis, Tennessee, qualifying event.
"We commend Jason for bringing this matter to our attention. At this time, we have no recourse, but to disqualify him under the Rules of Golf," said Daniel Burton, US Golf Association vice president and chairman of the Championship Committee.
The US Open starts Thursday at Pinehurst No. 2, where England`s Justin Rose will be defending his title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi