Sergio Garcia in charge at damp Deutsche Bank Championship
Norton (Massachusetts): With birdies galore at a damp TPC Boston on Sunday, overnight leader Sergio Garcia shot a fine six-under 65 to hold a two-stroke lead after the third round of the Deutsche Bank Championship.
Swede Henrik Stenson`s 66 took him within two shots of Garcia while Canada`s Graham DeLaet produced a sparkling nine-under 62 to sit one further adrift along with American Steve Stricker (63).
A course which had already offered low scores was even more benign after morning rain left the greens even softer.
So often the talk in golf is of creating tougher and tougher challenges for players but the fans who ventured out after the storms that delayed play enjoyed seeing the world`s best in a `Birdie Fest`.
On a day when only 11 players shot over par, Garcia appeared particularly, if unusually, relaxed in a tournament he had not initially planned to play in.
Garcia`s much-publicised "fried chicken" jibe at Tiger Woods in May and the trouble it caused him seemed a distant memory as he strode confidently around the wet TPC Boston, drawing warm cheers from the New England crowd with seven birdies.
"We can`t control the weather," said Garcia, whose bogey on the 14th was his sole blemish. "And you`ve just got to go out there and try to play the best you can. And I was very happy to see that my best was six-under today," he said.
"Hopefully I`ll be able to believe in (myself) in the way I`ve been believing this whole weekend. If I`m able to do that I should have a chance, a good chance of winning.
"If not, then I`ll fight as hard as I can to get it," he added.
DeLaet`s score was the best of the week and continued his purple patch following his impressive tie for second at the Barclays last week.
"It was an incredible day," said the Canadian.
"It`s one of those days that it doesn`t come along as often as you`d like. But it was one of those days where I was seeing the lines great and made pretty much every putt that I would expect to make, along with a couple of 20-footers."
American Jason Dufner, who fired six birdies in his opening 10 holes, was unable to build on his excellent start, but his 66 left him four strokes behind Garcia on 14-under alongside compatriot Roberto Castro (68).
After enjoying much of the limelight as playing partners for the first two rounds, world number one Tiger Woods and British Open champion Phil Mickelson had disappointing days.
Mickelson had three bogeys on the back nine and his second straight even-par round left him 11 behind Garcia.
Woods found the fairway just seven times in his one-over 72 to be six-under, tied in 47th place.
"I just didn`t have it today," Woods lamented. "I just didn`t hit it well. I didn`t make anything. Just one of those days - I had a bad day at the wrong time."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced