Sharmila Nicollet makes cut in Turkish Open
Belek (Turkey): Indian golfer Sharmila Nicollet made her first cut of the season after carding a two-over 75 in the second round of the Turkish Ladies Open here.
Nicollet, who has been recovering from injury and erratic form, made the cut despite a double bogey and a bogey on 16th and 17th hole yesterday.
She is now three-over 149 at the National Golf Club par-73 course. The cut fell at six-over 152.
Nicollet, who had three birdies and four bogeys in the first round, had two birdies and an eagle in the second against four bogeys and a double bogey.
Long-hitting Nicollet made good use of the distance she manages off the tee and the eagle on 14th helped her cause.
Meanwhile, Laura Davies, Trish Johnson and Carmen Alonso shared the halfway lead. The trio sit at four under par after 36 holes played in sunny conditions.
With overnight leader Carlota Ciganda a stroke back on three under, the leader board is packed with long hitters who have cleverly plotted their way around the tight-tree lined course.
Fellow Spaniard Ciganda recovered from a double at the 12th and two bogeys with three birdies to stay in touch.
Johnson fired a second round two-under-par 71 after holing a wedge shot for eagle on the par-five 15th mixed with birdies on the sixth and 18th against bogeys on the first and 17th.
However, she only held the lead for only a short time before former fellow Solheim Cup player Davies holed a five-footer for birdie on the 18th green to join her at four-under. Alonso, playing in the last match of the day, then joined the duo on that number.
Davies, playing with a local caddie, made five birdies and, despite bogeys on one and five, her birdie on the tough par-four 18th saw her move joint top.
Alonso overcame a double at the eighth and three bogeys to shoot six birdies including one at the last to share the lead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony
- SC rejects review petition of Telangana for division of assets
- VIDEO! Lionel Messi wins UEFA 'Goal of the Season' award for scoring this beauty