Sharmila Nicollet makes cut in Turkish Open
Belek (Turkey): Indian golfer Sharmila Nicollet made her first cut of the season after carding a two-over 75 in the second round of the Turkish Ladies Open here.
Nicollet, who has been recovering from injury and erratic form, made the cut despite a double bogey and a bogey on 16th and 17th hole yesterday.
She is now three-over 149 at the National Golf Club par-73 course. The cut fell at six-over 152.
Nicollet, who had three birdies and four bogeys in the first round, had two birdies and an eagle in the second against four bogeys and a double bogey.
Long-hitting Nicollet made good use of the distance she manages off the tee and the eagle on 14th helped her cause.
Meanwhile, Laura Davies, Trish Johnson and Carmen Alonso shared the halfway lead. The trio sit at four under par after 36 holes played in sunny conditions.
With overnight leader Carlota Ciganda a stroke back on three under, the leader board is packed with long hitters who have cleverly plotted their way around the tight-tree lined course.
Fellow Spaniard Ciganda recovered from a double at the 12th and two bogeys with three birdies to stay in touch.
Johnson fired a second round two-under-par 71 after holing a wedge shot for eagle on the par-five 15th mixed with birdies on the sixth and 18th against bogeys on the first and 17th.
However, she only held the lead for only a short time before former fellow Solheim Cup player Davies holed a five-footer for birdie on the 18th green to join her at four-under. Alonso, playing in the last match of the day, then joined the duo on that number.
Davies, playing with a local caddie, made five birdies and, despite bogeys on one and five, her birdie on the tough par-four 18th saw her move joint top.
Alonso overcame a double at the eighth and three bogeys to shoot six birdies including one at the last to share the lead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song