Sharmila, Smriti a step away from Euro qualifiers` final stage
La Manga (Spain): Sharmila Nicollet and Smriti Mehra moved within one round of making the final stage of this year`s Ladies European Tour Qualifying Golf School on Wednesday.
The lanky India no. 1, Sharmila shot one of the best rounds in the field, carding two-under 69 and was eight-over for 54 holes to move to tied 27th in Group A after the third round of the pre-qualifiers at the La Manga Golf Resort here.
Smriti, meanwhile, was lying tied 38th, despite a third round 77 after first two rounds of 75 and 78. She was 11-over for three rounds.
The top 35 and ties from both groups advance to the final stage, from where top-30 will earn the Ladies European Tour card.
Rhea Nair, who was the best placed Indian at the midway stage, carded 82 in third round and dropped to tied 50th at 14-over in Group B.
Nalini Singh Siwach shot 76 and at 17-over, she was tied 59th. Neha Tripathi (77) was 34-over and way down in tied 93rd place.
Sharmila, India`s numero uno women golfer for the past two years, started the day at 10-over.
She began brilliantly with two birdies on first two holes, and had a bogey on fourth. She then birdied fifth and eighth and bogeyed the ninth.
Turning in two-under, Sharmila parred all the nine holes on the back nine for a 69 that gave her a superb chance of qualifying for the final stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video