Sharmila, Smriti a step away from Euro qualifiers` final stage
La Manga (Spain): Sharmila Nicollet and Smriti Mehra moved within one round of making the final stage of this year`s Ladies European Tour Qualifying Golf School on Wednesday.
The lanky India no. 1, Sharmila shot one of the best rounds in the field, carding two-under 69 and was eight-over for 54 holes to move to tied 27th in Group A after the third round of the pre-qualifiers at the La Manga Golf Resort here.
Smriti, meanwhile, was lying tied 38th, despite a third round 77 after first two rounds of 75 and 78. She was 11-over for three rounds.
The top 35 and ties from both groups advance to the final stage, from where top-30 will earn the Ladies European Tour card.
Rhea Nair, who was the best placed Indian at the midway stage, carded 82 in third round and dropped to tied 50th at 14-over in Group B.
Nalini Singh Siwach shot 76 and at 17-over, she was tied 59th. Neha Tripathi (77) was 34-over and way down in tied 93rd place.
Sharmila, India`s numero uno women golfer for the past two years, started the day at 10-over.
She began brilliantly with two birdies on first two holes, and had a bogey on fourth. She then birdied fifth and eighth and bogeyed the ninth.
Turning in two-under, Sharmila parred all the nine holes on the back nine for a 69 that gave her a superb chance of qualifying for the final stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Ban oral talaq, burqa': Sharia made by Allah, so can't be abolished - this is nonsense, says Markandey Katju
- Delhi traffic jammed again: Hundreds stuck on NH8, DND, Mayur Vihar-Noida road
- Uttarakhand forest fire: What tourists must know
- IPL 2016: Sunrisers Hyderabad's mentor Muttiah Muralitharan highly impressed with Bangladeshi pacer Mustafizur Rahman
- I am neither a borrower or a judgement debtor, says Vijay Mallya