Sharmila wins second week in a row on Hero Women`s Tour
Chandigarh: Sharmila Nicollet signaled her return to form with a gritty four-over 75 to grab her second straight title in the seventh leg of the Hero Women`s Professional Tour on Friday.
The lanky long-hitter from Bangalore, who won the Order of Merit last season, had a disappointing final round, but with her nearest rival, Smriti Mehra also off-colour on the final day, Sharmila coasted to a comfortable six-shot win.
Sharmila totaled three-over 216, while Nalini Singh (Siwach) finished at nine-over 222 and Smriti Mehra was third at 10-over 223.
Sharmila, who was second in the first two legs of the Tour and third in the fifth leg, finally notched her first win of the season in the sixth leg last month in Gurgaon.
A month later, she has landed her second title in Chandigarh.
She stayed in front through the week, though on the first day she shared the lead with Smriti Mehra.
Sharmila began with a four-shot lead over Smriti but the latter never challenged her after a three-over front nine. Sharmila had just one birdie through the day on the second day and dropped five other shots.
Despite putting letting her down, she did well to stay calm and keep the lead.
While Sharmila ensured she stayed in the front, Nalini Singh (Siwach), who won once earlier in the season brought home the only under-par round of the day with a one-under 70 and edged past Smriti Mehra to grab the second place.
Nalini, who was seven shot behind Smriti, birdied the 15th as Smriti bogeyed to grab a two-shot swing and draw level.
Then Nalini birdied the 16th to move ahead and when both players parred the 17th and bogeyed the 18th, Nalini finished second as Smriti shot a 78 for the day and Nalini carded 70.
Neha Tripathi (75) was fourth at 224 and Saaniya Sharma (74) was fifth and Ankita Tiwana (88) dropped from overnight third to sixth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Turkey to abolish visas for EU states including Cyprus under migrant deal
- Ravi Rampaul reveals shocking reason for not being picked in West Indian team
- IPL 2016, Match 31: GL vs DD - As it happened...
- Jacqueline Fernandez keeps mystery alive on her relationship status
- Mamata Banerjee trying to influence polls with police help: CPI-M