Shiv Kapur moved to sixth in Foshan Open in China
Foshan City (China): Making a bid to get into the top-15 of European Challenge Rankings, Indian golfer Shiv Kapur took a big step forward when he fired a four-under 68 in the second round to lie at the tied sixth position in the Foshan Open golf tournament here on Friday.
Kapur`s 68 came on the heels of a first round 70 and his two-day total of six-under 138 helped him to stay three shots behind the co-leaders -- Tyrell Hatton (66-69) and Sam Walker (66-69).
Kapur, who started the week in 36th place of the European Tour Challenge Rankings needs around 20,000 Euros to crash into the top-15 and secure his full European Tour card for 2014. The winner here in Foshan Open stands to make Euros 41,234, while the second placed player will make Euros 28,348 and the third placed gets Euros 18,039.
Kapur started with a bogey on third, but then found a great streak of birdies from fourth to seventh for four birdies in a row.
He dropped a shot on the ninth, but made up with birdies on 11th and 13th and finished with a 68, which was the second best card recorded in the second round.
Despite dropping two shots in their final four holes, the English duo of Hatton and Walker will carry a one-shot lead into the weekend of the Foshan Open.
The pair had appeared destined to open up a sizeable advantage over the field, but came unstuck at the sixth and ninth - their last hole - to slip back to nine under par and give hope to the chasing pack.
Having missed the cut in his last two tournaments and subsequently slipped to 24th place in the Challenge Tour Rankings, it is perhaps Walker`s need which is the greater this week.
With the top 15 graduating to The European Tour and a USD 350,000 prize fund on offer, a good finish will go a long way for the hopefuls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report