Sim looks for Nationwide inspiration in Torrey title bid
San Diego: Australian Michael Sim aims to draw on the experience of his golden Nationwide Tour campaign last year when he bids for victory in Sunday`s final round of the San Diego Open.
Sim triumphed three times on the PGA Tour`s satellite circuit in 2009, ending the season as player of the year with record earnings of USD 644,142.
On Saturday, he birdied two of the last three holes at Torrey Pines for a two-under-par 70 and he will go into the last day two strokes behind the pacesetting Ryuji Imada of Japan.
"Tomorrow I`m going to try and go out there and just play the golf course probably until I get to the back nine," Sim, 25, told reporters after posting an 11-under total of 205.
"Par is a very good score out here on this golf course, especially if the wind gets up like it did this afternoon."
"If I can go out there tomorrow and play like I did on the back nine today, I`ve got a really good shot at winning the tournament."
Asked if his Nationwide Tour experience last year had given him an extra jolt of confidence in pursuit of his maiden PGA Tour victory, Sim replied: "Definitely."
"I`m happy to be out here now. I played last week at the Bob Hope (Classic) and played quite well."
"Now I`ve got an opportunity this week to win a golf tournament and I`d like to take full opportunity of that tomorrow."
Sim, the top-ranked amateur in the game in 2005, has not played at Torrey Pines since he competed for the Junior World Championship in 2002.
"I think I finished about 30th, but obviously now there are a lot more additional tee boxes and it is a lot longer," said the Scotland-born professional whose best PGA Tour finish was a tie for seventh at the 2008 Arizona Open.
"You`ve got to hit the ball well and putt well out here. It is a U.S. Open golf course," Sim added, referring to the venue for the 2008 US Open. "It`s very demanding."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US