Six Pakistani players in Delhi NCR golf cup
New Delhi: Six Pakistanis will be part of 14 foreign amateur golfers battling it out for the eighth Delhi NCR Cup, India`s only amateur golf tournament, starting from Tuesday at the Delhi Golf Club (DGC) here.
India`s top-60 amateurs, including Gagan Verma and Satwik Jain will be vying for top honours at the Delhi NCR Cup that involves two players each from Germany, Ireland, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
Sohaib S Bokhari, who is leading the Pakistani contingent, sees such tournaments as an opportunity for Pakistani golfers to rub shoulders against better opponents and help build bridges with people across the border.
"The standard of golf in India is much higher. I feel it is good from our point of view that we play better opponents in India. We will get to learn from this experience," Bokhari, who was part of the two-member team that played here last year, said.
"We have around 7000 golfers playing in 40-50 golf courses back in Pakistan. Royal Palm Golf course and Gymkhana Club are two international standard courses in Karachi. Golf is slowly becoming popular there," he said.
Bokhari had hosted a Friendship Cup golf tournament last year between Indian golfers from DGC and Pakistan golfers competing under the team label `Together We Golf`.
The Delhi State Championships will be simultaneously held along with the Delhi NCR Cup.
The Indian winner and runner-up of these two tournaments will be sent to participate in one of the National Amateur Championships of European region.
Also, the DGC will soon be hosting an inter-college golf championship in order to promote the sport amongst youth.
"We have already obtained permission from Association of Indian Universities to host the inter-college tournament. The idea is to make it an inter-university championship in order to popularise the sport," the DGC general secretary, Hardip Singh Kingra said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset