Steve Stricker thankful to stay dry on rainy day
Lake Forest (Illinois): Steve Stricker thanked his lucky stars he was one of 22 players who did not have to tee off in Sunday`s rain-hit final round of the BMW Championship before play was suspended for the day.
Torrential downpours at Conway Farms Golf Club forced play to be halted twice in the PGA Tour`s penultimate FedExCup playoff event, after the early starters had to contend with a saturated course in cold and wet conditions.
"I think we got the better end of the deal by not even playing in it," second-placed Stricker, who is scheduled to tee off with tournament leader Jim Furyk at 9:40 a.m. CT (1440 GMT) on Monday, told reporters.
"It looked like it was pretty tough conditions for everybody, with cold weather and rain. I didn`t have to go out, get started in it and come back in, all that stuff. So that was good, I guess, in that respect.
"But I wish we could have got it (the full round) in. I wish we could have played for all the fans that are here and the sponsors and everything. Got to go back at it again tomorrow and try to put up a good round."
Of the 70 players who qualified for the elite BMW Championship, being held for the first time on the outskirts of Chicago, only 48 began Sunday`s round.
Stricker, alone in second place overnight after rocketing into contention with a 64, was set to tee off with Furyk in the final pairing.
Asked how he dealt with the unpredictability of a start-stop day before play was eventually called off, the 46-year-old American replied: "You just take it like it`s Sunday tomorrow, and today was kind of an off-day.
"(Wife) Nicki and the kids were here still, so I kind of hung out with them. It didn`t really ever feel like I was going to get out there and play today, the weather just looked bad all the way around.
"But I`ll be ready tomorrow. Early start tomorrow, and the weather looks better," said Stricker, who is playing a truncated schedule on the PGA Tour this season to spend more time with his family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head