Storm delay means Monday finish for Singapore Open

Singapore :Play restarted at the Singapore Open on Sunday after a delay of more than five-and-a-half hours due to thunderstorms and lightning, but the final round will spill over into a Monday finish.

Players were called off the Serapong course just before midday with England`s Ian Poulter, South Korean Kang Kyung-nam and Australian Adam Scott at the top of the leaderboard on 14-under-par after they had completed just three holes.

U.S. Open winner Graeme McDowell, who could leapfrog Martin Kaymer at the top of the Race to Dubai standings with a Singapore win, was two shots off the pace.

Despite the rain still falling and little more than an hour of light left in the day, organisers said the players would try to play as many holes as possible.

"We will play until it`s dark and then we will resume tomorrow morning at 7:30 and we will continue until we have a winner," Chris Jordan, senior vice president of organisers World Sports Group, told reporters.

"With it being so overcast the light may die on us quicker, we will go until it`s impossible to play."

Entrance to the public would be free of charge on Monday and provisions had already been made for the logistical aspects of the late finish, Jordan added.

The $6 million co-sanctioned Asian and European Tour event has regularly fallen victim to bad weather delays, but the storm that disrupted play on Sunday had been unusual, he said.

"This thing (storm) has sat on top of us and not gone anywhere, so this is very unusual," said Jordan, though he sounded a note of caution for Monday`s outlook.

"It`s looking slighty better than today. I`m not going to say I`m confident, I`m just hopeful."

The tournament was also hit by a four-hour delay in the opening round on Thursday, which forced 108 players to return early on Friday to finish their first 18 holes before starting their second round.

Bureau Report

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link