Stricker feeling good for PGA season opener
Kapalua: Steve Stricker has a spring in his step ahead of the Tournament of Champions in Hawaii having largely recovered from the neck and shoulder pain that hampered him late last year.
The world number six failed to produce a top-10 during the final five months of his 2011 campaign after winning twice on the US PGA Tour earlier in the season.
"It`s been real good," American Stricker told reporters at the Kapalua Resort on an injury to his neck caused increasing weakness in his left arm, leading to a loss of power off the tee, but ongoing physical therapy and two cortisone shots since then have left him feeling in good shape for this week.
"It`s Thursday while preparing for Friday`s opening round. "I`ve been doing some physical therapy at home, mainly massage treatments, pressure treatments.”
"I did about six of those in a two-week period leading up to Christmas, and then continued that over here. I got another cortisone shot and I think that, too, has helped a lot. It feels pretty good.”
"I feel like I`m hitting a little bit further. If you look at the way I felt a year ago compared to now, I`m in much better shape."
Stricker, the highest-ranked player in this week`s elite field of 28 winners from the 2011 PGA Tour, was delighted to be back at Kapalua for the season-opening event on the U.S. circuit.
"It`s always icing on the cake," said the 44-year-old, an 11-times champion on the PGA Tour. "It (2011) was a consistent year. I didn`t have a tremendous amount of top 10s but I finished in the top 20 or 25 quite a bit.”
"I look forward to getting off to a good start here and doing much the same as I did last year, trying to win again."
Asked whether he felt the window of opportunity beginning to close for him as he approached his late forties, Stricker replied: "Yeah. I turn 45 next month, so I think about it.”
"But I also think about that I`ve played so well over the last six years that there`s no reason that I can`t continue to keep playing well. I`m not seeing any real changes in my game, and that`s the nice part.”
"I`m not hitting it shorter this year. I actually feel like I`m hitting a little bit longer. So I keep telling myself there`s no reason why I can`t continue on to do what I`ve been doing."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked