Stricker helps Spieth overcomes nerves in US debut
Dublin: Rookie Jordan Spieth had some nervy moments in his Presidents Cup debut but his fine form combined with veteran U.S. team-mate Steve Stricker`s calming influence helped guide the pair to a 1-up victory over Ernie Els and Brendon De Jonge on Thursday.
The U.S lead 3-1/2 points to 2-1/2 after the fourball session at Muirfield Village Golf Club and the 20-year-old Spieth got an early taste of the tension of the team game with his match going down to the wire.
"It was obvious that the nerves were affecting me at the start. He came up to me, and said, `I know you`ve got the nerves going but hey let`s start playing some golf now`.
"He was extremely supportive and helpful in getting me going. I made a putt on six and then we were both rolling from there," said Spieth.
Spieth, the PGA Tour Rookie of the Year, made six birdies but he and Stricker were up against a determined African pairing with Zimbabwe`s De Jonge, in particular, in brilliant form making eight birdies.
Els won the 17th hole with a birdie - his only of the round - to reduce the Americans` lead to just one hole going into the final hole and Stricker ensured the victory after a great up-and-down from the bunker.
"He took care of me at the end, and all in all... you hate to see somebody lose but I couldn`t have been happier that he got that up and down," he said.
The 46-year-old Stricker, who captain Fred Couples clearly identified as a solid partner for his young pick, sensed early on that the occasion was affecting Spieth.
"It`s always important to get off to a good start and I knew what kind of nerves Jordan was going to be dealing with.
"I was in a similar spot a few years ago, long time ago, but it`s a tough situation, and I thought the pressure was on me to come out and play well and try to make things easy for him, knowing what he was going to be facing throughout the day," said Stricker.
"So it was good that we got off to a good start. I think the rain delay helped us both. I think it helped Jordan here kind of regroup a little bit and same with me.
"There were a lot of pressure shots coming down to the end, but we were able to prevail."
Spieth said it had been a remarkable feeling to represent his country for the first time.
"It`s amazing. It`s something that`s hard to describe," he said.
"When they announce you from the United States of America and you realise that it`s the Presidents Cup, and you`re standing next to guys like Steve and the best players in the world, it`s a feeling that gives me chills now just to talk about."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'