Stuard seizes PGA lead at Puerto Rico
Rio Grande: Brian Stuard, a two-time US PGA runner-up still seeking his first title, fired a six-under-par 66 Thursday to seize a one-stroke lead after 18 holes at the Puerto Rico Open.
Stuard, an American who was second at the 2010 and 2013 Mayakoba Classic in Mexico, began off the 10th tee and fired seven birdies against a lone bogey on day one of the $3.5 million event.
"The wind is blowing pretty good out there, so I hit some good shots. I kept it in play nice off the tee, didn`t get in much trouble, and only made the one bogey," said Stuard.
"I`ve just been playing pretty solid. I putted really good to start off the year and then kind of last few weeks not quite as good and then good today."
Stuard began a run of three birdies in a row at the par-3 11th and added birdies at the par-5 15th and 18th holes. He birdied the par-5 second and par-4 third but took a bogey at the sixth before parring to the clubhouse.
New Zealand`s Danny Lee and American Jason Gore shared second on 67 with South Korea`s Y.E. Yang, the 2009 PGA Championship winner, and Americans Ricky Barnes, Tim Petrovic, William McGirt, Chesson Hadley, Eric Axley and Ben Martin another stroke off the pace.
Most of the world`s top players are competing at this week`s World Golf Championships Cadillac Championship at Doral in Miami.
Japan`s Ryo Ishikawa, the 2012 Puerto Rico runner-up, opened with a 70 in Rio Grande.
Ishikawa began with a birdie at the 10th, took a bogey at the par-3 11th but then answered with birdies at 14 and 15.
Ishikawa also had bogeys at the first and fifth, but responded with a birdie each time on the next hole.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’