Thai golfer Prom proves his worth at Indonesia Open
Jakarta: Thailand’s Prom Meesawat showed no signs of a hangover from a play-off defeat two weeks ago when he shot a second round five-under-par 66 at the weather-disrupted Indonesia Open here Friday.
The Thai, who lost to China’s Liang Wen-chong in a play-off in Manila, put himself in a strong position to win a second Asian Tour title since 2006 after compiling a nine-under-par 133 total at the Pantai Indah Kapuk course at the Damai Indah Golf.
Thai stars Thongchai Jaidee and Thaworn Wiratchant, both former Indonesia Open winners, fired a 67 and 64 respectively for identical 134s in the morning before play was abandoned due to lightning threats.
Two-time Major champion Retief Goosen of South Africa moved up the leaderboard with a 65 to tie with Mardan Mamat (69) on 137 at the $750,000 event.
Overnight leader Gaganjeet Bhullar of India played through 16 holes on -10 while playing partner Jazz Janewattananond of Thailand was on -9 with two more holes to play. They will return Saturday to complete the second round alongside 52 others.
Prom turned in one-over-par 37 but marked a sensational comeback when he chipped-in from 25-feet for birdie on hole two. He immediately holed four straight birdies and added another birdie on the eighth hole to set the clubhouse target.
“I played slight better because I could control the ball. The turning point came when birdied hole two because my confidence came back and I started sinking more birdies,” said the Thai.
Prom insists that he has erased the play-off defeat in Manila and is prepared to continue his title charge.
“I’ve forgotten about the Manila defeat. I’m just concentrating on this week. I finished the play-off in the Philippines and that was it for me. I have to move on from there,” added the 29-year-old.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31