Thursday`s play washed out at Bob Hope Classic
California: The second round of the Bob Hope Classic has been postponed because of unplayable conditions at La Quinta, California.
Organisers had initially pushed back the scheduled tee times by two hours due to heavy overnight rain before eventually abandoning play for the day.
PGA Tour officials said a Monday finish was likely after the five-round pro-am celebrity event had lost an entire day`s play for only the third time in 51 editions.
The last time a full day`s play was washed out at the Bob Hope Classic was in the first round of the 1980 tournament.
Although further rain has been forecast for Friday, it is expected to be much lighter than the thunderstorms and possible flooding predicted for Thursday afternoon.
Little-known American Shane Bertsch held the first-round lead after firing a 10-under-par 62 on the Nicklaus Private course at PGA West, one of four venues hosting the 90-hole event.
Rookie Alex Prugh, making only his third appearance on the PGA Tour, and fellow American Jeff Quinney recorded matching 64s on the same Nicklaus layout to share second place.
American Pat Perez, who won last year`s title by three shots, opened with a 68 at the SilverRock Resort, the most difficult of the four venues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?