Thursday`s play washed out at Bob Hope Classic
California: The second round of the Bob Hope Classic has been postponed because of unplayable conditions at La Quinta, California.
Organisers had initially pushed back the scheduled tee times by two hours due to heavy overnight rain before eventually abandoning play for the day.
PGA Tour officials said a Monday finish was likely after the five-round pro-am celebrity event had lost an entire day`s play for only the third time in 51 editions.
The last time a full day`s play was washed out at the Bob Hope Classic was in the first round of the 1980 tournament.
Although further rain has been forecast for Friday, it is expected to be much lighter than the thunderstorms and possible flooding predicted for Thursday afternoon.
Little-known American Shane Bertsch held the first-round lead after firing a 10-under-par 62 on the Nicklaus Private course at PGA West, one of four venues hosting the 90-hole event.
Rookie Alex Prugh, making only his third appearance on the PGA Tour, and fellow American Jeff Quinney recorded matching 64s on the same Nicklaus layout to share second place.
American Pat Perez, who won last year`s title by three shots, opened with a 68 at the SilverRock Resort, the most difficult of the four venues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery