Tiger`s wins, fame likely to deter sponsor losses
Florida: Companies like Nike Inc are not expected to sever their ties with golfer Tiger Woods, who has sponsorship deals worth an estimated USD 100 million a year, after his weekend car accident, analysts and consultants said.
Early returns showed companies are standing by the popular golfer.
"Tiger Woods is one of the premier athletes in the world and we are proud to have him involved with NetJets," David Sokol, chief executive of Berkshire Hathaway Inc`s NetJets private jet unit, said in an e-mail statement.
Nike Golf global public relations manager Beth Gast echoed that sentiment: "Tiger and his family have Nike`s full support."
Woods, whom Forbes magazine recently said had become the first athlete to earn more than USD 1 billion in his career, crashed his Cadillac Escalade into a fire hydrant and tree outside his mansion in Florida early Friday morning.
On Sunday, the 33-year-old golfer said in a statement that he was embarrassed by the accident.
Woods, considered the best golfer of his generation, has had numerous sponsorship deals through the years for everything from Nike to automobiles to shave creams to sports drinks.
Officials with PepsiCo Inc brand Gatorade "look forward to seeing him back on the course soon. Our partnership with Tiger continues," a spokeswoman said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan
- CINTAA's joint secretary apologises to Rakhi Sawant, Dolly Bindra – Here’s why
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants Aamir, Salman, Shah Rukh Khan to support her