Tiger Woods aiming for third US PGA playoff title
Johannesburg: Golf`s World No.1 Tiger Woods has set his sights on targeting a third US PGA playoff title, along with its 10 million-dollar bonus, starting on Thursday at The Barclays.
According to Sport24, Woods has five triumphs this season and tops the money list, once the ultimate sign of season success on the US circuit, with 7.6 million dollars.
The report further said that despite a major victory, the season has been strong for the 14-time Major winner as it included wins at the World Golf Championship events at Doral and Firestone, PGA events at Torrey Pines and Bay Hill and the Players Championship.
Stating that it has been a great year for him by his standards, Woods said that he is now focused on winning the playoff crown at Barclays by playing for the top five positions going into the Tour Championship and then winning the crown.
According to the report, any player among the top five in points entering the final event will win the crown by winning the title, which could allow for a player with plenty of points like Woods to skip an event and still be in the hunt for the title.
Woods, who won the inaugural 2007 playoff crown and took the title again in 2009, tees off Thursday alongside his two nearest rivals in playoff points, fellow Americans Matt Kuchar and Brandt Snedeker with British Open winner Phil Mickelson in fourth making an afternoon start.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- PMO counters criticism on 'rehashed' schemes under Narendra Modi government
- Watch: NASA releases 'Metabolomics: You Are What You Eat' video!
- Women's World Boxing Championship: Sonia Lather settles for silver, loses to Italian Alessia Mesiano in 57kg final
- 'The Jungle Book' rakes in moolah at Box Office, all set to cross Rs 200 crore in India!
- HDFC among world's top 10 consumer financial services firms