Tiger Woods has Ryder Cup in his sights
Dubai: Tiger Woods says he is keen to make the US team which will challenge to break Europe`s recent domination of the Ryder Cup when it returns to Scotland after a 41-year gap at Gleneagles in late September.
Woods was part of the team that was overhauled by Jose Maria Olazabal`s men on the final day singles at Medinah in 2012 and that brought his record in the biennial team event to having played it six times and been on the winning side only once, in 1999.
"You know we are looking forward to it," he replied when asked how he felt about playing in the Ryder Cup in Scotland.
"I don`t think I`m even on the team right now points-wise. I`ve got to get myself there first."
Currently Woods stands outside the top 20 in the standings to make the 2014 US Ryder Cup side, but has the bulk of the new season to make up ground and then captain Tom Watson has three wildcard picks at his disposal after that.
"It will be fun to play in Scotland," he said.
"We`ve played at the Belfry (England), it seems like forever, moved around to Spain and Wales. But we haven`t been to Scotland in a very long time.
"So it`s going to be nice to go there and play at Gleneagles and have Tom (Watson) as our captain."
Woods said he was hopeful that the Americans could have the kind of mix of ages that they enjoyed under captain Freddie Couples in winning the Presidents Cup for the fifth time in a row last October.
"We had a great mix of older guys, middle-aged guys and some new blood in Jordan (Spieth) being only I think 20 at the time. Or was he 19 at the time. He was still so young."
The Ryder Cup will take place at Gleneagles in eastern Scotland from September 26-28 with Europe out to triumph for the sixth time in seven editions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in