Tom Watson expects `honest answer` from Tiger Woods over fitness
London: United States` golf team captain Tom Watson expects former world number one Tiger Woods to give an honest assessment of his fitness to play in September`s Ryder Cup at Gleneagles.
Woods needs to rely on a wildcard spot, following an injury-ravaged season, as he injured his back in last week`s WGC-Bridgestone Invitational and missed the cut at this weekend`s US PGA Championship.
Watson said that the answer can only come from Woods, and added that he is confident that the 14-time major winner will give them an honest answer, The BBC reported.
Woods underwent back surgery in March and was sidelined for three months, but reported no pain when he returned to action in June. He finished level 69th at the Open in July, his worst showing in that event as a professional, and shot a pair of three-over-par 74s at the US PGA at Valhalla to miss the cut for only the fourth time in his career in a major championship.
Watson said that he would talk to Woods in the next three weeks before he selects his three wildcard picks on 3 September. He added that the biggest question is Woods` health and right next to that it is how is he playing.
The US PGA was the final tournament to count towards qualification for the US Ryder Cup side, and Woods` failure at Valhalla leaves him 70th in the United Ryder Cup team standings, 61 places off a qualifying berth, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!