Westwood backs Darren Clarke to lead Team Europe at 2014 Ryder Cup
London: English golfer Lee Westwood believes veteran Darren Clarke is the ideal candidate to become Team Europe’s captain at the next edition of the Ryder Cup in 2014 at Gleneagles.
Paul McGinley is still the bookmakers’ favourite to succeed José Maria Olazabal, the Spaniard who presided over the thrilling 14½-13½ win at Medinah 10 days ago, but it is understood Clarke has been approached by influential figures within the European Tour to take on the challenge in Perthshire rather than wait until Minnesota in 2016.
Clarke also has some high-profile supporters among Europe’s star-studded squad, not least Westwood, who last night urged him to be named as Olazábal’s successor.
“If I were asked to pick, it would be Darren Clarke,” the Telegraph quoted Westwood, as saying.
“He has been a Ryder Cup stalwart for many years. The one at the K Club in 2006 will be remembered for him, his great performance under the stress of what he was going through at the time. He is a major champion, tactically he is very astute. I think he has a lot going for him,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH