With LPGA win, Lewis passes Park for world No 1
Galloway Township: Stacy Lewis got the victory she needed on Sunday to topple South Korean Park In-Bee from the top of the women`s world golf rankings, winning the LPGA ShopRite Classic.
America`s Lewis claimed her second LPGA title of the season and the 10th of her career, firing a four-under par final round of 67 in the 54-hole tournament for a 16-under par total of 197.
She finished six strokes in front of runner-up Christina Kim, who carded a one-over 72 for 203.
Lewis is projected to end Park`s 59-week reign atop the women`s world golf rankings.
Park has yet to win this year and her position atop the rankings has been under threat for weeks.
Lewis admitted this week that she was "kind of tired" of discussing at every tournament what she`d need to do to topple Park.
The 29-year-old will be happy to have broken through to regain the number one ranking she held for four weeks last year, especially with the US Women`s Open coming up later this month at Pinehurst.
"I would like to take care of that here this week," said Lewis, who did so in emphatic style.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Eat these superfoods for healthy stomach!
- Delhi Police recovers precious dagger stolen from Nehru Museum, arrests 2
- When Subramanian Swamy provoked Congress leaders with 'Italian Constitution' jibe
- Meldonium count in Maria Sharapova's blood sample exceeds permissible levels: Russian Sports Minister
- Honda Cars expects sales to grow in double digits in 2016-17