Woods eager to battle McIlroy for top honours
Sydney: Ace golfer Tiger Woods is looking forward to take on world number one player Rory McIlroy in the new season after their rivalry dominated the most of last year. The new golf season gets into full swing in Abu Dhabi this week and all eyes are on top players McIlroy and Woods. It is the second straight year that the Northern Irishman and the American have opted to get things going in the Gulf emirate, but the situation has evolved distinctly since 12 months ago.
The potential rivalry between the two in 2013 has been hotly anticipated and they are likely to be paired together Thursday and Friday in the first two rounds of the Abu Dhabi Golf Championship. Woods, who is back to the world No.2 ranking two and a quarter years after losing the top spot, is reluctant to become too embroiled in promoting a two-man show. Woods said McIlroy had a wonderful 2012, and my hat is off to him, adding the Ulsterman deserved Player of the Year.
The American added that whether he and McIlroy develop a rivalry remains to be seen, adding they will look at the results the next five or 10 years and see if it becomes a rivalry or not. Woods said he and McIlroy would have to win big events and play each other down the stretch and that hasn`t happened yet, adding they need to face each other more often at major events to develop any kind of serious rivalry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow