Woods vows to work on putter after muted Dubai showing
Dubai: Tiger Woods vowed to improve his putting after another lacklustre showing at the Dubai Desert Classic on Sunday extended the world number one`s troubled start to 2014.
The 14-times major winner birdied the last three holes for a one-under-par final round of 71 on the Majlis course, giving him an aggregate six-under 282.
But such a score left Woods an also-ran at a tournament where he vied for top billing with Northern Ireland`s Rory McIlroy.
"My iron game wasn`t as sharp as I`d like, I had seven lip-outs today," Woods told reporters.
"I`m definitely going to work on my putting. My light putting needs to be better than it has been... I`m hitting my lines, I just don`t have the speed right."
Woods began brightly in Dubai, racing to four-under after nine holes of Thursday`s first round, seemingly showing few ill effects from a dire showing at California`s Torrey Pines a few days earlier where he carded 79, the second-worst round of his professional career.
Yet wayward driving and then inconsistent putting saw the American make 10 birdies and eight bogeys over Dubai`s final 63 holes as he slipped out of contention.
"I made a quick easy fix to my grip the other day and from then on I drove great," said Woods, who will now fly to Delhi for an exhibition event, his first visit to India, before returning the United States.
"I throttled back a little bit to try to get my ball back in play and just didn`t hit it as far. I`m able now to start letting it go - a couple of carries out there were in the 310-315 (yards) range. That`s back to where I should be."
Woods also wants to improve with the wedge.
"I still need to do a bit of work chipping out of this rye grass, because I`ve been chipping out Bermuda and it`s a little different technique," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt