World Cup format to change with Olympics on horizon
Haikou (China): The format of golf’s World Cup will change in 2013 to mirror the competition at the 2016 Olympics when the sport makes its return to the Games in Brazil, organisers said on Saturday.
The tournament will also command world ranking points and bring back an individual four-round trophy for the first time since 1999 when Tiger Woods won the individual award in Malaysia.
Ken Chu, chairman and CEO of Mission Hills, confirmed the changes would be taking place for the 2013 event.
“The World Cup will change format, and it will begin enjoying world rankings points, and it will still be held biennially and at around this time of year,” he said.
“But with golf to be in the 2016 Olympics the equation in golf changes, and these changes to the World Cup will be having the Olympics in mind.”
Chu, along with his younger brother Tenniel, Mission Hills vice chairman, held meetings earlier this week at Haikou with the Federation of Golf Tours heads, including PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem and his European Tour counterpart, George O’Grady.
Chu indicated the Federation would release a joint statement shortly confirming the changes.
He also rejected suggestions this year’s World Cup will be the last after some reports in the media said the event would fold.
His younger brother said the upcoming announcement on the changes was “exciting news for the future of the World Cup”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi