France hold Canada to keep hopes alive
Nishad Vellur/Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: France came back from a one goal deficit to hold Canada in their last pool game to keep their hopes alive for a spot in the FIH hockey Olympic qualifiers final on Friday.
Earlier, Canada overcame early jitters to gain first half lead through Iain Smythe in the 35th minute. But the joy was short lived. Through some good attacking hockey, France managed to equalize in the 56th minute through Fabien Magner, who scored from close range to give France a better chance to go through the final.
Results: France 1-1 Canada, Italy 4-0 Singapore.
Chamberlaine’s trick for SA
Overwhelming favourites South Africa came back from a goal in arrear and a shoddy first half to overcome Canada 4-1. A discordant opening half saw them mess up in the 10-yard circle but Dirkie Chamberlaine’s hat-trick in the second half ensured they remained unbeaten the tournament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani