India should have it easy against France, says Rajpal
New Delhi: Former captain Rajpal Singh, who was overlooked for the ongoing men`s hockey Olympic qualifiers, feels India have let in some soft goals but should comfortably win Sunday`s final against France.
The 28-year-old is confident that India, eight-time Olympic champions, will qualify for London after missing the Games for the first time in 80 years at the 2008 Beijing edition.
"There is no doubt in my mind that we will and qualify for the Olympics. But we should focus on winning by a huge margin and not concede goals," Rajpal told IANS on the sidelines of a promotional event organised by World Series Hockey (WSH) franchise Delhi Wizards at the Kingdom of Dreams.
India have conceded goals in all their five matches enroute the final though barring the Canada game, they defeated their opponents with ease.
Rajpal said all the top teams in the world score goals without conceding many and India should start doing the same.
"Even against a team like Singapore, we let them score one. Our weakness for long has been the defence and it is time we rectify that. And even after the tournament, we should try to improve on it. We must not get satisfied with the result here," he added.
On his comeback, Rajpal said: "I still have a lot to offer to the team and the passion is very much there to play for India again. I would be using the WSH to gain match fitness since I have played only one match in 2012."
The WSH begins Feb 29 with Delhi Wizards one of the eight teams in the competition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- Vodafone launches unlimited free voice calling offer for prepaid customers