We need to start our Olympic preparation now: Nobbs
New Delhi: India hockey coach Michael Nobbs said the team`s preparation for the 2012 London Olympics started Sunday with a 8-1 in over France in the final of the qualifiers.
"We have done every single thing possible before the tournament and I am happy we delivered. We were confident but still the job needed to be done. We need to start our Olympic preparation now. The boys will take some rest deservingly and then we will implement the whole plan starting from fitness, nutrition and focus on the things which we have done right here," said Nobbs after India won at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium.
Nobbs said there will be a series of international tours to prepare the team.
"There will be a line of tours and tournaments coming up and we will have to do well. We have played all the matches from right to finish with the same intensity and that is what we would look to continue, playing with high intensity," he said.
The Australian said the qualifiers helped the team shape better.
"It was a very important tournament because we needed to qualify for the Olympics, change our style and show that this team is worthy of admiration and respect. We have a new breed of team, a very happy team, there is no bickering, no politics and the team is playing as a unit. I don`t want to set any targets. These are early days. I know if I get five years time, we can win the gold," he said.
Star drag-flicker Sandeep Singh, who slammed in five goals, said he worked on his variations.
"I had kept a view variations which I though I would use in the finals and it came off very well. This is not the end. I have to score more goals. It is a process where we have to improve step by step as we enter into the Olympics," he said.
"Now we have to play well against bigger and better teams, it is a great feeling to score 16 goals. I would like to carry the momentum as we progress further," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why