We need to start our Olympic preparation now: Nobbs
New Delhi: India hockey coach Michael Nobbs said the team`s preparation for the 2012 London Olympics started Sunday with a 8-1 in over France in the final of the qualifiers.
"We have done every single thing possible before the tournament and I am happy we delivered. We were confident but still the job needed to be done. We need to start our Olympic preparation now. The boys will take some rest deservingly and then we will implement the whole plan starting from fitness, nutrition and focus on the things which we have done right here," said Nobbs after India won at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium.
Nobbs said there will be a series of international tours to prepare the team.
"There will be a line of tours and tournaments coming up and we will have to do well. We have played all the matches from right to finish with the same intensity and that is what we would look to continue, playing with high intensity," he said.
The Australian said the qualifiers helped the team shape better.
"It was a very important tournament because we needed to qualify for the Olympics, change our style and show that this team is worthy of admiration and respect. We have a new breed of team, a very happy team, there is no bickering, no politics and the team is playing as a unit. I don`t want to set any targets. These are early days. I know if I get five years time, we can win the gold," he said.
Star drag-flicker Sandeep Singh, who slammed in five goals, said he worked on his variations.
"I had kept a view variations which I though I would use in the finals and it came off very well. This is not the end. I have to score more goals. It is a process where we have to improve step by step as we enter into the Olympics," he said.
"Now we have to play well against bigger and better teams, it is a great feeling to score 16 goals. I would like to carry the momentum as we progress further," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’