ICC Women`s Committee head happy with schedule
London: The ICC Women`s Committee chairperson Clare Connor is delighted with the governing body`s International Development Board (IDI) for approving six global women`s tournaments between 2016 and 2023.
The schedule will see two ICC Women`s World Cups as well as four ICC World Twenty20 events, including the continuation of the joint men`s and women`s events of the World Twenty20 in 2016 and 2020 in India and Australia, respectively.
In 2018, in the West Indies and 2022 in South Africa, the women`s event will be a stand-alone tournament.
Speaking from London, Connor said: "I am delighted with the schedule of women`s events through to 2023. It is a great outcome for women`s cricket.
"The agreement of a schedule that incorporates a fixed cycle for women`s events illustrates how seriously women`s cricket is taken by the International Cricket Council.
"Following on from the highly successful ICC Women`s World Cup recently in India, an event that clearly showcased the increasing depth, talent and excitement in women`s cricket, this cycle provides a great platform for the continuing growth of women`s cricket."
There was more good news for women`s cricket when the IDI Board also agreed to expand the ICC Women`s World Twenty20 Bangladesh 2014 to a 10-team tournament.
This means that the top three teams from the ICC Women`s World Twenty20 Qualifier 2013, to be held in Dublin, Ireland, from 23-31 July, will now join Australia, Bangladesh, England, India, New Zealand, South Africa and West Indies in the 2014 tournament that will be staged from 16 March to 6 April 2014.
ICC women`s major global events for the period 2016-2023 are:
• ICC World Twenty20 2016 (joint men`s and women`s) - BCCI
• ICC Women`s World Cup 2017 - ECB
• ICC Women`s World Twenty20 2018 - WICB
• ICC World Twenty20 2020 (joint men`s and women`s) - Cricket Australia
• ICC Women`s World Cup 2021 - NZC
• ICC Women`s World Twenty20 2022 – CSA
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah