India finish third in Women`s T20 tournament
Aldershot (England): India women`s team skipper Jhulan Goswami led from the front with an all-round performance to help her team beat New Zealand women by three
wickets to finish third in the NatWest Women`s T20 Quadrangular Series.
In the third place playoff match, Goswami struck a quickfire 33 off 28 balls, besides claiming a wicket as India achieved the target of 96 with a ball to spare, after New Zealand had decided to bat first.
Chasing a meager target, India made a disastrous start before Goswami walked into the middle with the scorecard reading 47 for four to rescue her side.
But for Goswami`s performance, India would have lost the match as the other batters failed to make notable contributions. The skipper was awarded the Player of the Match for her valuable knock, which included two boundaries.
Only two other Indian players reached the double figures -- Veda Krishnamurthy (15) and Harmanpreet Kaur (14).
Earlier, Indian bowlers dished out a disciplined performance as they restricted New Zealand to a low total at the Officers Club Services Ground here.
Medium pacer Amita Sharma returned impressive figures of two for 11, while Goswami, Snehal Pradhan and Priyanka Roy claimed a wicket each.
For New Zealand, Amy Satterthwaite top-scored with 35 off 44 balls, while medium pacer Kelly Anderson and off-spinner Aimee Watkins picked up three and two wickets, respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!