India warm up with 20-run win over England
Mirpur (Bangladesh): India comprehensively defeated England by 20 runs in their second and final warm-up fixture of the ICC World Twenty20 at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium here Wednesday.
Chasing India`s total of 178/4, England could only manage 158/6 in their quota of 20 overs.
After being put in to bat, India did not start well and lost both openers -- Rohit Sharma (5) and Shikhar Dhawan (14) -- cheaply by the fifth over. Yuvraj Singh (1) also edged his fifth delivery in the next over to put India in a troublesome situation.
However, Virat Kohli and Suresh Raina combined well to pull through from 39/3 to 120/3 before Raina departed but not before completing his half century. His knock of 54 came off 31 balls which included six boundaries and two sixes.
Kohli, however, kept the engine running, hitting eight boundaries in his unbeaten knock of 74 from 48 deliveries.
Skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni also joined the party in the last five overs to score an unbeaten 21 off 14 balls, including a six and a four.
In reply, England took off well with openers Michael Lumb (36) and Alex Hales (16) giving a good start to the 2010 champions.
But India picked up wickets and kept the England run rate in check. Despite valuable performances from Moeen Ali (46) and wicketkeeper-batsman Jos Buttler (30), no one played the anchor`s innings to guide England home.
Left arm spinner Ravindra Jadeja was the only bowler from both sides to pick up two wickets (2/13) while offie Ravichandran Ashwin (1/20) and part-timer Raina (1/23) were economical in their four overs.
India take on Pakistan in the World T20 opener Friday.
Brief scores: India 178/4 in 20 overs (Virat Kohli 74 not out, Suresh Raina 54, Mahendra Singh Dhoni 21 not out; Ravi Bopara 1/25, Jade Dernback 1/27, Chris Jordan 1/37) beat England 158/6 (Moeen Ali 46, Michael Lumb 36, Jos Buttler 30; Ravindra Jadeja 2/13, Ravichandran Ashwin 1/20, Suresh Raina 1/23).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh