Kanpur: UPCA to have new stadium
Kanpur, Jan 29: Cricket Board Vice-President Rajiv Shukla today said that efforts were on to have a new stadium at Kanpur and hoped that the city would get to host an international match sooner than later
Kanpur was scrapped as an international venue last year following a dispute over control of Green Park stadium that is owned by the state government.
Shukla claimed that given the government`s non-cooperation in the issue, the Uttar Pradesh Cricket Association having a ground of its own was the only way whereby the state could get to host matches.
He said that the UPCA was working towards locating required land for the same.
"The famous Green Park stadium which has organised a number of international matches now wears a deserted look because it is a state government property," Shukla said.
International players like Mohd. Kaif, Suresh Raina, Rudra Pratap Singh and Piyush Chawla were unlucky not to be able to play for India before their home crowd due to the non-cooperation of the state government, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'