Leading contender for cricket`s top job says `no`
Wellington: The search for a new head of world cricket took a step backwards Saturday when leading candidate and respected New Zealand administrator John Anderson said he was not available.
It is New Zealand and Australia`s turn to nominate the next International Cricket Council (ICC) vice president and ultimately president and Anderson was considered a certainty after original nominee John Howard was rejected.
Howard, the former Australian prime minister and a passionate cricket lover, was put forward ahead of Anderson after months of debate by Australian and New Zealand cricket officials over who would be their joint candidate.
But the ICC refused to accept Howard and called for a new candidate from Australia and New Zealand putting the spotlight back on Anderson.
However a statement from the Board of New Zealand Cricket (NZC) said Anderson did not want to be considered.
"In light of ICC?s rejection of the nomination of John Howard, I approached Sir John Anderson to assess his availability for the role," NZC chairman Alan Isaac said.
"Unfortunately Sir John advised me that he is not available to be considered as a possible nominee."
NZC and Cricket Australia (CA) have previously expressed "deep disappointment" at the ICC decision not to support Howard.
Haroon Lorgat, the ICC chief executive, has refused to reveal why Howard`s name was rejected saying cricket`s controlling body did not have to give a reason.
But it is understood that opposition from Asian and African nations sealed his fate as he had clashed with some of the countries opposed to his ICC bid when he was Australia`s premier from 1996 to 2007.