MCA has become the "fiefdom" of Sharad Pawar, alleges Munde
Mumbai: Alleging that Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) has become the "fiefdom" of Sharad Pawar, senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde on Thursday said his application to contest for the post of MCA President was rejected to ensure that the NCP chief gets elected unopposed.
The former Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister said he would seek "natural justice" and would challenge the decision in the city civil court.
"If Vilasrao Deshmukh got justice, why not me," he asked.
"There is no impartial election taking place here. I demand that MCA President`s election should be set aside. The court should order that it should be held again," Munde said.
"The proof submitted by me states that I am the resident of Mumbai," he said.
The leader`s application was rejected by the election officer on Saturday as the address on his electoral registration was Beed after which he filed an appeal which has now been turned down.
According to MCA rules, only a Mumbai resident can become a governing member of the cricketing body.
He said that MCA has become "fiefdom" of Pawar. There is monopoly (of Pawar). Even cricketers are not happy there," he said.
"I will file a separate PIL for that. There is a law in MCA that one cannot contest MCA elections for the fourth term without a gap four years. I am the member and will ask questions during MCA`s general body meeting," he said.
"Cricket clubs have no rights. Only the President has all the rights. Members of all parties are upset with him. Members are not even getting cricket match passes," he said.
In 2011, Vilasrao`s nomination for top MCA post was challenged on the ground that he was not a permanent resident of Mumbai but of Babhaigaon in Latur district. However, the returning officer had allowed the nomination on the basis of the details of his residence given in his passport (showing him a Mumbai resident).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi