Monty Panesar aims to be England`s No. 1 spinner after Swann`s retirement
London: Monty Panesar is out to prove he should be England`s new No.1 spinner now that Graeme Swann has stepped aside, according to reports.
According to the Mirror, having played club cricket in Sydney at the weekend, he will be given the role at the MCG on Boxing Day by default after playing in the Adelaide defeat and with an impressive Test career already behind him.
However, Panesar does not consider himself the first choice automatically, especially with Scott Borthwick and James Tredwell soon breathing down his neck.
He said that it is a good opportunity and he must try to grab it and do the best he can.
Panesar added that it is important that he does not look far ahead and take it game by game, adding that he is hoping to get some good rhythm and string some good overs together.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender