`Domestic racing and drivers to get fillip with races at BIC`
New Delhi: The hosting of the finale of the national racing championship and several other races at the Buddh International Circuit (BIC) will be a huge boost for the domestic drivers and domestic racing, the organisers said on Monday.
A total of 14 races, including JK Racing Asia Series finale, Polo R Cup and MRF Challenge, will be held at the BIC this weekend under the Sidvin Speed Festival.
"We had two tracks for domestic racings, one at Chennai and one at Coimbatore, where the drivers cannot no beyond 11000 RPMs at a 3.13km circuit but at BIC even 20,000 RPMs would be low. Here they will find their cars not having enough power, so they will have to make some tuning to their cars.
"It will be a dream come true for them to race at a Formula One circuit," Sanjay Sharma, Head Motorsport, JK Tyres and Industries Limited said.
At least five Indian drivers will be seen in action in the JK race while four local drivers will strut their stuff in the MRF races.
Sharma said hosting these races at BIC would open up several other opportunities for the young drivers.
"We did not have a FIA homologated, accredited track, so manufacturers never had promotional events here. But now with the coming of BIC, this has started to happen. Now our domestic drivers can have opportunities to meet those manufacturers and make a career-path," he said.
The safety measures and medical facilities will be the same during the action which are followed during F1.
"That`s why you come to BIC. We have taken our circuit to the best facilities," Sharma said.
In order to bring in the fans, BIC has given the organisers access to the Grand Stand, which has a capacity to accommodate 20,000 spectators.
The fans can watch the races by collecting a free-of-cost invite available at various JK, Audi, Woodland an select MRF outlets.
Asked how a restricted fan entry would help increase the motorsport fanbase, Askari Zaidi, Head, Communications Jay Pee Group said, "The basic idea is to reach out to people, who have some understanding of the sport. We have given information on our Facebook page.
"The joining of the hands of the BIC with the domestic race promoters is a good news for the motorsport enthusiasts in the country."
Sharma added that with BIC coming in to host the races, they could find a sponsor for the event "in 30 seconds over a meeting".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information