`Schumacher will not be Schumacher` if he survives, says brain surgery specialist
London: A brain surgery specialist has reportedly claimed that Formula One legend Michael Schumacher will be a completely different person than he was should he survive the severe head injuries he suffered in a skiing accident in December.
The seven-time German world champion, who retired in 2012, is currently being treated in Grenoble University Hospital for brain injuries he suffered in an accident while skiing off-piste in Meribel in the French Alps.
According to a leading newspaper, although doctors have begun tests on Schumacher, who has been in a medically-induced coma for over two weeks since he struck his head on a rock that left his helmet split in two, however, Dr Richard Greenwood has warned that a successful recovery would still involve adjusting to an entirely different life.
The acute brain surgery specialist, from University College London Hospital, said that if Schumacher survives, he will `not be Michael Schumacher`, adding that his rehabilitation will only be effective if he comes to terms with being `some other person than himself`.
Greenwood also said that this is a very hard process to take people through, adding that they need to come to terms with their limitations - the fact they have changed.
Greenwood was speaking at the launch of a study, in which it found that people who had suffered a traumatic head injury were three times as likely to die prematurely as those who had not, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam