Adrian Newey backs Red Bull`s youth policy
Monza: Red Bull technical boss Adrian Newey said he always preferred the idea of a new young driver in the team for 2014 rather than a veteran like Kimi Raikkonen.
After the Milton Keynes-based outfit confirmed this week that Australian Daniel Ricciardo will line-up alongside defending triple champion German Sebastian Vettel next year, Newey said that he was particularly eager to bring on a driver for the long term.
"We could have taken an experienced driver, somebody guaranteed to deliver to a relatively known level, or equally we could take on a much younger driver in the hope that they`ll develop to a very high level," said Newey.
"We looked at the latter option and concluded that of the younger drivers, Daniel is the most promising. From Red Bull`s point of view that also fits well because the driver that Christian and I feel is the most promising is part of the Red Bull young driver programme.
"The decision actually reminded me a little bit of a similar situation we had when I was at Williams. Nigel Mansell was leaving and we needed someone alongside Alain Prost.
"We could have stuck with Riccardo Patrese or take a punt on a young driver called Damon Hill who was our test driver at the time. I think it`s good to bring young blood in and give promising drivers a chance."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her