Adrian Newey backs Red Bull`s youth policy
Monza: Red Bull technical boss Adrian Newey said he always preferred the idea of a new young driver in the team for 2014 rather than a veteran like Kimi Raikkonen.
After the Milton Keynes-based outfit confirmed this week that Australian Daniel Ricciardo will line-up alongside defending triple champion German Sebastian Vettel next year, Newey said that he was particularly eager to bring on a driver for the long term.
"We could have taken an experienced driver, somebody guaranteed to deliver to a relatively known level, or equally we could take on a much younger driver in the hope that they`ll develop to a very high level," said Newey.
"We looked at the latter option and concluded that of the younger drivers, Daniel is the most promising. From Red Bull`s point of view that also fits well because the driver that Christian and I feel is the most promising is part of the Red Bull young driver programme.
"The decision actually reminded me a little bit of a similar situation we had when I was at Williams. Nigel Mansell was leaving and we needed someone alongside Alain Prost.
"We could have stuck with Riccardo Patrese or take a punt on a young driver called Damon Hill who was our test driver at the time. I think it`s good to bring young blood in and give promising drivers a chance."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!