Adrian Sutil surprised at Indian GP`s axe in 2014
New Delhi: Force India driver Adrian Sutil is surprised that the Indian Grand Prix will not take place next year and hopes the "great event" returns to the Formula 1 calendar in 2015.
"It is quite disappointing to not have the race in 2014. I remember coming to India in the first year (2011) and it seemed the event had a long future. The crowd turnout was good and track is so nice. All drivers are fond of it," Sutil told IANS over phone from Singapore ahead of the racing weekend.
The Korean Grand Prix, however, is expected to continue despite questions raised over its popularity and low turnout. The German said that he did not see India missing its F1 date after the success of the last two editions.
"The way F1 started in India was pretty good. It was well received by fans. Having said that, we are not the ones taking the decisions on these matters. I can only hope the event stays on the calendar. For some reason if it doesn`t, I would love to come again," said Sutil, who scored two points in the 2011 edition before being dropped from the team in 2012.
Force India have been off their pace ever since changes in the tyre-compound following the British Grand Prix in June. They have conceded fifth place in the constructors` standings to McLaren, managing just two points in the last four races.
However, the 30-year-old believes that the 2013 car can be improved despite its development work having been stopped.
"We started working on the 2014 car early and the team looks in good shape for next season. However, it doesn`t mean that we can`t maximise the performance of the 2013 car. We seem to be struggling with balance and are working hard to overcome the problem. The car is still capable of finishing in top-10."
On his future with Force India, Sutil said: "I have not made any plans for next year. It is difficult to do that in Formula 1. I feel good here but I am open to other teams as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- After IITs, HRD Ministry hikes fees in NITs, IISERs
- Was Test captain Virat Kohli overruled by BCCI, CAC in India coach appointment?
- Swami Prasad Maurya is a traitor: Mayawati
- Gold slips from 26-month high, down Rs 485 on fall in demand
- Watch this video! Your stomach will churn as man puts 2 live vampire bats in mouth