Alonso hails F1 season as his best ever
Seoul : Double Formula One world champion Fernando Alonso put his past success with Renault in perspective on Thursday by hailing the current season with Ferrari as his best ever.
Winner of four races with the Italian team, which he joined from Renault at the end of last year after one season with McLaren in 2007, the Spaniard lies second overall in the championship.
Despite being 14 points behind Red Bull`s Mark Webber with three races remaining, including Sunday`s inaugural South Korean Grand Prix, Alonso said his campaign had been a great experience on many levels.
"For me personally it has been a great 2010 championship, driving for a new team," he told a news conference at the Korea International Circuit.
"Great integration with Ferrari from day one, I felt very comfortable. It has been probably the best year of my career so far," declared the man who won his titles with Renault in 2005 and 2006.
"A great experience, very happy. So, now, in the last three races we will try and arrive in a position to fight for the championship in Abu Dhabi."
Alonso had a close relationship with team boss Flavio Briatore at Renault until the Italian left under a cloud when a race-fixing scandal broke last year.
The flamboyant Briatore, who remains banned from any active role inside the Formula One paddock until 2013, is still Alonso`s manager.
Questioned further about his season, Alonso said that even if it was not yet finished it was still the best "in terms of happiness, motivation, driving and the team itself.
"Obviously it would be nice to become champion this year," added the Spaniard, who stayed out in Asia after the Japanese Grand Prix. "But even if we cannot do it, I will have great, great memories of 2010."
Five drivers are fighting for the title, with Alonso level on points with Red Bull`s Sebastian Vettel.
McLaren`s Lewis Hamilton, the 2008 champion, and reigning champion Jenson Button are 28 and 31 points behind Webber respectively.
Alonso had some engine problems earlier in the season but he said the risk of having to use more than his allocation and picking up a penalty was no longer a concern.
"So far the situation has been under control and we should have no concerns for the remaining races and everything is okay for us," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed