Alonso positive about the new Ferrari
Barcelona: Spanish Formula One driver Fernando Alonso is preparing for the forthcoming season with renewed optimism, given that this year he will be racing with a faster car.
Alonso lost out on the World Championship last season after a dramatic final race which saw Sebastian Vettel complete his hat-trick of World titles for the Red Bull team, reports Xinhua.
Alonso, meanwhile, complained that he had been forced to compete with a slower car, which placed him at a handicap in the faster circuits.
This year, however, he believes he may no longer have to deal with that disadvantage and his feelings have been strengthened by practice sessions at the Montmelo circuit close to Barcelona.
"Last year I was two seconds slower than the fastest cars in the practice sessions," said the Ferrari driver.
"The feelings that I get from this car are good, more or less what I was expecting and there have been no surprises, which is positive in itself, because last year we were all a bit surprised and not in a good way in the trials," continued Alonso, who said that his current car had "evolved," and there was "nothing to surprise the driver."
However, Alonso admitted there was still a long way to go before his car was ready to compete in the opening Grand Prix of the 2013 season, which will be held in Australia March 17.
"We had a few problems when we carried out trials in Jerez and we will have to make a lot of laps before we know if the car is really trustworthy. We are more or less now at the same stage at which we ended last season, but the aim is to get to Australia with some big improvements, with new pieces we will introduce in the last test," he said, adding a note of caution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India